Part of the Tri-Suite14 software package, AutoMeasure is the world’s first and only Automatic Forensic Photogrammetry Software with the ability to produce an accurate bio-metric measurement of a suspect’s dimensions (e.g. height), and crime scene measurements from surveillance video and photographs.
1. Cognitech® AutoMeasure® is a general photogrammetric tool-set (*) for measuring any subject or crime scene captured in at least one or several images/video frames.
2. The automated visual workflow interface in Cognitech® AutoMeasure® provides step-by-step instructions.
3. Steps are color coded according to completion and keep the end-user aware of current progress.
4. Since Cognitech® AutoMeasure® provides step-by-step instructions; advanced knowledge of photogrammetry is not needed in order to utilize the software.
5. Contextual Feedback provides constant instruction on the next step to be taken. 102. Evidence images with measurements can easily be exported in standard image formats.
6. Advanced point placement functionality provides a flexible method of placing, dragging & dropping and meta-tagging corresponding points of interest in order to simplify the process of multi-view stereo matching.
Automatic Camera Calibration (#)
7. Cognitech’s patented automatic test pattern recognition method, Automatic Camera Calibration, detects a calibration pattern (designed by Cognitech) in test images.
8. Once a calibration pattern has been detected, Automatic Camera Calibration accurately removes camera lens distortion and estimates internal camera parameters (such as focal length and optical center deviation), which provides more accurate results than traditional camera test pattern methods.
Single Frame Measure
9. Single Frame Measure provides the height of a subject in a single evidence image from several 3D crime scene measurements using the Single Frame Metrology Method, even when the original camera source has been shifted or removed. The traditional Reverse Projection technique cannot provide the same accuracy. More importantly, Reverse Projection technique is not possible if the original camera source has been shifted or removed.
10. With Single Frame Measure, accurate camera position is internally computed and used to determine projection geometry of the visible scene with respect to the camera.
11. Any image point XYZ coordinates can be determined by clicking a point on the evidence image, specifying any one of its coordinate components, such as X, and obtaining the two other coordinate components (Y and Z).
3D MultiView Measure (#)
12. 3D MultiView Measure provides the same, or higher, accuracy as the Single Frame Measure since it only requires a single scale measurement instead of manual measurements of the XYZ positions of all reference points. 3D MultiView Measure provides more accurate measurement results when using multiple images.
13. 3D MultiView Measure provides height, area, and distance measurements of objects from a single scale measurement, whether or not the original camera source is available.
14. 3D MultiView Measure does not require that any linear structures be visible in the evidence image (i.e. no vanishing points are required).
15. Additional photos required for MultiView Measure can be taken at any time as long as there are enough similar features present from the evidence image. This process increases measurement accuracy and allows measurements to cover larger crime scenes.
16. MultiView Measure is designed to be used not just for measuring the height of an individual in the evidence image, but also to measure any geometric attributes of the crime or accident scene (*) captured in multiple images..
Panorama Builder & Measure (#)
17. Panorama Builder accurately produces up to a full 360° stitched panorama from fisheye images (*) (#).
18. The stitched panoramas are unwrapped and rectified for normal rotational viewing.
19. Panorama images produced in Panorama Builder can be used in 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure (#) as well as providing accurate 360° crime scene photography. 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure: Measuring in the Entire 360° Visual Sphere of View (#) 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure tools are described in the Measurement Tools Section.
20. 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure utilizes a different advanced photogrammetric method than the MultiView Measure, allowing for much more flexible measurements of people, objects, accidents and crime scenes.21. With 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure , the evidence image can be matched to multiple test images without the careful positioning of the test image camera in order to capture as many points in common as possible. This significantly simplifies crime scene data collection and eliminates point omission errors.
22. 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure provides the ability to measure all the same geometrical quantities as in 3D MultiView Measure, e.g. height, area, and various distance measurements. However, measurement points do not need to belong to the same captured image, thus allowing the distances between the points, that are separated by occlusions (e.g. walls, trees) and large distances, to be measured.
23. The 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure method provides the most efficient method of capturing scene images and producing accurate measurements.
24. Ricoh’s Theta 360° full panoramic camera data is seamlessly integrated for viewing an entire real-world 360° sphere of view.
25. By taking two or more panoramic images with Ricoh’s Theta 360° camera and using 3D RAMA® Panorama Measure , the user can perform all geometric measurements that the 3D MultiView Measure provides with the added convenience of operating and measuring in the entire 360° visual sphere of view (#).
Measurement Tools (*)
26. Cognitech® AutoMeasure® provides automatic error feedback (#), which helps the end-user to determine and correct inaccurate point placements and increase measurement accuracy.
27. The Base Triangle allows the end-user to define a 3D plane by clicking any three points in the image. This 3D plane can be used to compute the XYZ coordinates of any point that lies on the plane by just clicking on that point.
28. The Virtual Ruler Height Measurement Tool (*) provides a real-world perpendicular digital ruler tool to measure the height of any object or individual whose base can be seen.
29. When points and planes are defined by clicking the image, real-world distances can be measured with the Distance Measure Tools (*) from point to point, plane to point, or plane to plane. This capability of measuring distances and therefore angles (through simple trigonometry) is useful in crime scene ballistics investigations.
30. By simply clicking the sequence of points in the image and delineating the area, any real-world region can be measured with the Area Measure Tool (*). This is often useful in blood spatter analysis.
31. A digital magnifying glass is provided in the Cognitech AutoMeasure® software allowing for detailed point placement.
32. The World Coordinate Tool allows the end-user to manually set a known coordinate system, which allows the end-user to incrementally unify coordinates of all measured points in all images under a single 3D coordinate system.
*Above items marked with a hashtag (#) indicate unique forensic video capabilities that are proprietary ONLY to Cognitech, Inc. due to issued and pending US and International patents of Cognitech, Inc.
*Above items marked with an asterisk (*) are designated computational design capabilities that are the leading edge of forensic video technology and are not commonly available to other competitors in the field.
Several Scientific Peer-reviewed references for Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® methods:
The 1st in scientific literature peer-reviewed revolutionary publication on the use of photogrammetric methods for forensic image/video applications:
C. Jensen and L. Rudin, Measure: An interactive Tool for Accurate
SPIE Vol. 2567, Investigative Image Processing, editors: S. Bramble, et.
al. pp.73-83, San Diego, 1995
L. Rudin, P. Monasse, and P. Yu, Epipolar Photogrammetry: A Novel
Method for Forensic Image Comparison and Measurement, Proc. of
IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Genoa, Italy, pp. 385-388, 2005.
Lenny Rudin, Pascal Monasse, Ping Yu, Fast and Photogrammetric
Accurate3-D Crime Scene Reconstruction, American Academy of
Forensic Sciences, 59th Annual Meeting Forensic Image and Video
Processing Workshop, 2007
L. Rudin, et. al US Patents Pending, 2006, 2007
*Cognitech’s PhD scientists have pioneered the court certified use of forensic mathematical photogrammetric tools in the United States and international courts of law since 1992.
*The revolutionary algorithms of Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® software have been developed by a team of Cognitech® PhD scientists. This Cognitech® technology received recognition and is in use today by the most respected United States government photogrammetry-oriented organization: the National Geospatial Agency, who is using it for their highly accurate Geo-Measurements.
*While using the Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® software, the individuals and the vehicles captured on the evidence video/photo can be photo-metrically identified or ruled out even if the original surveillance cameras were moved or removed (not possible with outdated Reprojection Method).
*Accurate measurements from the crime scene can be performed by the technician at any time by using stored scene images and the camera calibration parameters (even if the scene does not physically exist anymore). During the scene investigation, it is impossible to predict all of the required linear and areal measurements.
*Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® software can do photogrammetry without ANY manual measurements, using only a computerized use of stereo-point correspondences between scene images. There is no need for the measuring tape and the time consuming manual measurements!
*Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® software accurately computes any linear dimensions in the image/frame, human height, shoe size, length/height of the vehicle, the angles between any lines and surfaces (trajectories). The software additionally computes user-selected spot areas, camera location/angle and more.
*Cognitech’s AutoMeasure® software is the only photogrammetric software that is naturally integrated with Cognitech’s Video Investigator® and VideoActive® software programs. These programs are video/image enhancement and analysis tools and are the most advanced software in the world.